Hudson Architects are thrilled to be key UK partners in the CobBauge project, which forms part of the work by the European Union to reduce the carbon emissions of the FCE area by 2020 by 20% (2012/27/UE). The energy consumed for the building sector currently represents 40% of the total energy produced (UE2010), 60% of which is used by occupants to heat buildings. The CobBauge project was selected under the European cross-border cooperation Programme INTERREG VA France (Channel) – England co-funded by the ERDF and involves 5 French and British partners.

The CobBauge project involves bringing traditional Cob into the 21st century. Currently it can be impractical to build with earth as traditional cob does not meet building regulations. CobBauge keeps the positive qualities of traditional Cob while simultaneously allowing earth construction to meet modern building regulations.

We are working closely with our partners to develop the construction methodology of CobBauge. Learning from existing earth building techniques and traditions, we are developing the drawings and details that turn a material into a building. Assessing what foundations to use, how windows and doors will sit within the wall and testing different roof designs. Earth construction has strong ecological credentials and in looking at how to create buildings using CobBauge, we are working hard to promote this quality.

Involvement in this project is part of our commitment to the RIBA 2030 Climate Challenge in which we pledge that all Hudson Architects buildings will meet RIBA recommended target by 2030 or before.

Budget received from the France (Channel) England Programme: €2,857,181
Project Duration: 72 months
Total Project Budget: €4 097 365.10

Our Partners

Current CobBauge Projects

Normandy, France

The first CobBauge building is currently being constructed in Carentan, France.

Plymouth University

Construction has begun of the first building in the UK to be made from an upgraded version of the centuries-old material of cob. The single-storey building on the University of Plymouth campus will act as a classroom and laboratory with researchers monitoring the performance of the new walling material, as well as demonstrating it to future building designers, contractors, housing associations and interested stakeholders.

Latest Journal Entries

Highlights of 2022
2022 was a year of projects, initiatives and an award win that we are immensely proud of and so today we are sharing some of the highlights! Duke Street Riverside…
Continue Reading